Last weekend, I tweaked my drinking homework a little bit. Instead of blind tasting a single bottle, I tasted 2 wines side by side. The idea was to train myself on differences and help calibrate my “sensors”. It’s easier to say that a wine has medium + acidity when you can compare it with a wine that has medium – acidity. I did that sort of thing before, in a much less structured way with a couple of red burgundies.
The wines were both from the same grape, Riesling. One came from Australia and the other one from Germany, both can be found in retail for between $15 and $20. Those are the common points, now we need to taste the difference
The wines :
- Pewsey Vale, Eden Valley Dry Resling 2014
- Nahe, Kreuznacher Knonenberg Auslese Riesling 2013
- Pewsey Vale : clear, medium lemon with legs
- Nahe : clear, medium lemon with thicker legs
Similar in color and intensity, the Nahe’s higher sugar shows more legs
- Pewsey Vale : clean, medium intensity. Notes of citrus (lemon), vegetal, green fruit (pear), white flowers and mineral (rock, with faint petrol notes). The wine is young but developing.
- Nahe : clean, medium + intensity. Notes of tropical fruit (mango), flowers (elderflower), stone fruit (yellow peach). The wine is developing
First big gap here, with the Nahe showing a very different set of aromas, much riper and exotic compared to the greener, citrusy Pewsey Vale
- Pewsey Vale : dry, medium + acidity, medium – alcohol, medium body, medium flavor intensity, medium – finish.
- Nahe : medium sweet, medium + acidity, medium – alcohol, medium + body, medium + flavor intensity, medium + finish.
- Pewsey Vale : notes of citrus (lime), mineral (rock, oil), green fruit (apple)
- Nahe : notes of tropical fruit (pineapple), stone fruit (yellow peach), flowers (elderflower)
- Both wines are good. I would give a slight edge to the Nahe but not enough to move it to very good.
- Both wines can be drunk now but they have potential for ageing
After doing some research, I think I did ok, one big mistake on the alcohol level however because the Nahe is only at 9% ! That’s definitely a low, not a medium -. The whole exercise was fun, I’ll definitely try it again.